Mother Creates 18-point iPhone Contract With 13-Year Old Son
Some folks might think Janell Burley Hofmann’s 13 year-old son is still a little young for his iPhone.
But this Christmas gift didn’t come no-strings-attached; he could only keep the phone if he promised to agree to an 18-point contract mom drew up.
Among the sticking points, which Janell posted to her blog:
2. I will always know the password.
8. Do not text, email, or say anything through this device you would not say in person.
10. No porn. Search the web for information you would openly share with me.
12. Do not send or receive pictures of your private parts or anyone else’s private parts.
14. Leave your phone home sometimes and feel safe and secure in that decision. It is not alive or an extension of you. Learn to live without it.
And the contract’s last point ends with a great message to any son or daughter: “You will mess up. I will take away your phone. We will sit down and talk about it. We will start over again. You & I, we are always learning. I am on your team. We are in this together.”
Read her full “contract” here.
Mom and son Gregory were featured on Good Morning America:
So — what rules do YOU have for your kids and cell phones? What do you think of Janell’s rules?