Let’s face it: recycling paper can really help our environment and if each of us plays a vital role in the recycling of our paper products, what a perfectly portal of green perfection our earth would be!
So as you practice your “promising paper precautions”, have a look at these recycling facts about paper: (I’ll stop with the p’s)
1. Did you know that everyday, U.S. paper makers recycle enough paper to fill a 15 mile long train of boxcars?
2. It’s a fact when you recycle corrugated cardboard. you are cutting the emissions of sulfur dioxide in half and using 25% less energy than if you were to make the cardboard from virgin pulp.
3. Every Sunday, approximately 90% of the recyclable newspapers in the U.S. are thrown away…and not recycled!
4. Are you not recycling in your office? Well consider this: American workers toss enough office & writing paper annually to build a wall 12-foot high wall that could reach from Los Angeles to New York City!
5. Consider this: If all of us in the country recycled just 1/10 of our newsprint, we would save the equivalent of about 25 million trees a year. That’s a lot of trees!
6. If we took the time to recycle and it added up to one ton of recycled paper, there would be 74% less air pollution and 35% water pollution.
7. Your “old” newspaper can be recycled into insulation, packaging material, egg cartons, game boards, new newspaper, gift boxes and animal bedding.
8. Every ton of recycled paper saves approximately four barrels of oil, 4,200 kilowatt hours of energy so much energy that a home in North America could be heated and air-conditioned the average, for almost six months!
So how is paper made in the first place? Find out below and share your recycling paper tips with us!
Cicely C. Mitchell, MIX 96.5/ Houston