I’ll admit it, I downloaded ‘Pokemon Go‘ earlier this week and since then I haven’t been able to put my phone down! It’s addicting and super fun to try and race around town finding different characters, but as a community- we all need to be aware some people are using the game for the wrong reasons.
The problem with the game is that you’re thrown into an alternate reality through your PHONE, so you’re constantly staring down at it. Aside from the fact that people are running into things, falling down, and just plain risking their own physical safety…the game is also allowing possible predators to be waiting on people in parks and public spaces to come up looking for characters.
Police departments all over the country (including Houston) are trying to prevent further Pokémon Go accidents by asking that you read this below:
- Be alert at all times
- Stay aware of your surroundings
- Play in pairs or as a group in well-lit areas to ensure your safety
- Do not drive or ride your bike, skateboard, or other device while interacting with the app – “you can’t do both safely”
- Do not trespass onto private property or go to areas you usually would not if you weren’t playing Pokémon Go
- Be cautious of being lured into a bad situation